Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Turntablism and Hip Hop M.I.A.


I was talking to a good friend of mine the other day about beat making and where it is heading. He told me he thought it was going to crash and burn like disco. I was like "WHOA!!" that's a very big statement to make, but then I had to sit back and let him explain his reasoning behind that remark. See he told me that the internet and the MP3 killed the producer. He said that the fact that people nowadays can basically download records via Blogspots, Amazon,Limewire,iTunes,and Piratebay that they have become less hands on with their approach to making tracks. I am not going to lie to y'all because I am one who uploads records and send them to my friends all over the world as well as have them send me records via links such as Yousendit,DivShare, and Media Fire. Therefore with that said I guess I am going to fall into the category of producers he is describing. Mind you I am a fan of the O.G. Digging for Wax and I still get out and get my hands dirty, but I must admit the whole MP3 digging for media thing is getting to the point it is the norm these days. I will put my paycheck on it that there are a lot of these Fruity Loop, Acid, Logic based producers who don't even own a turntable.
Well anyway, my friend was saying that the reason beat making was going to go down in flames over the side of a cliff like a convertible Ford Fairlane in a 1970's action flick is, the lack of true DJ's and cats that actually know how to utilize turntablism in their craft. See you listen to music now and it has no scratching in the break, there isn't that gritty vinyl crackle and hiss that authenticated the rawness of the beat. Everyone wants that crisp sample that is laid out in the open for them to just pick up and place over a break beat drum loop. He went on to explain how the MP3 made it where a person can find the groove or break, sample it, and discard the rest of the record and then place it on the internet for the entire planet to grab. He said that it takes away the whole idea of finding that gem hidden in a record that you just went out and bought on the strength that it looked funky so you gonna cop it and see what you can find to sample.
I listened to his point and weighed the options of MP3 digging on the internet and just doing the HUNT as me and my friends call it, and I do agree with him as far as it is more hands on more personable and more exciting. You go out find that EARL HINES lp and be like WHOA this is the album Pete Rock used to lift the classic C.L. Smooth laced "Straighten it Out" also, I thought about the countless times where I would make a track, and find myself saying man this needs a scratch right here and it would complete the vibe of where I am taking you musically. So I have to face the music and agree with da big homie.
Don't get me wrong I am still going to grab samples off the internet but I always have been a hands on guy so if you see me in ya local Goodwill, or Salvation Army don't bother me I'm Hunting.
Shout Outs the homeboy DJ MADMIXA for the in depth conversation and eye opening facts that I hadn't realized I too was making the mistake of becoming a non hands on producer.

DJ MADMIXA can be reached at http://www.myspace.com/madmixaproductions go there check out his music and chop it up with the brotha he is really knowledgeable and a good source of information when it comes to turntablism. 25 years in the game and he still keep it relevant, now that's what's up..

2 comments:

  1. Here's what I was aiming at bro...
    1) the mp3 has killed the "value" of the music. Think about what makes a song or album a collectable? Rarity or limited releases, the artwork, the condition,etc.. Do you get that in a mp3... no. A mp3 is not something tangible, it can be copied with little regard or effort. I have yet to see my mother reproduce vinyl, but she can burn the hell out of some mp3's and cd's.
    2) There's a huge disconnect in hiphop, that will eventually be it's death... "NO REGARD TO THE YOUTH"!! What that means is... if you don't make music that really caters to the kids(and their parents) you just ignored the people that are most likely to "BUY" your music, rather than steal it. Let's be real, when "we" were coming up... we had songs that related to us and for the most part, even our parents were(some-what) cool with it. Now, most of us have kids... and I'm telling you...I'M NOT EXPOSING MY KIDS TO THIS BULLSH!T!! Any of you give me the names of some artists, that you feel comfortable letting a 10-16yr old listen to... or your own child(i'll wait for this).
    You can't use the age of the artist as an excuse either... many of the artist that we deem as "the Greats" were older than us, think about it... but, knew how to talk to us.
    3)I'm really going to be blunt on this one... WHAT AFRICAN AMERICAN ARTIST IS APPROPRIATE FOR YOUR KIDS? Here's what I mean...example... Disney keeps kicking out these 'teen' stars, but [b]who are the 'teen' stars that relate to "our" kids[/b]? Miley Cyruss, Justin Beiber,etc... are on your kids wall... what's is going on here?! Look, I'm addressing the building of "self-esteem"... this issue is no different than... letting your kids only play with white dolls or action figures. If you can't see the blatant disconnect or the fact that "our" kids are being led away or forced to listen to "adult" content within the music... then you are lying to yourself. Let's be real, if you had a 12yr old daughter... and if she wanted a lil Wayne or Drake Cd(download)... most of us would say, "nope!!" Now, who do we have out here... that going to 'fill in the blank'? There are people out here that never had "our" best interest in mind, and if you think that you can hide in the "underground" of hiphop and let this blow over... then you're sadly mistaken.
    Finally, I bring this up because, I would love to buy or play an artist whole album, cd, or latest release without having to put it under a microscope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rather make dancehall, reggae, or house music... than having to deal with the garbage that is called "rap and hiphop" these days.

    ReplyDelete