Friday, August 6, 2010

Roll it up my Homeboy Roll it up!!!!



I was just thinking to myself the other day why does every rapper nowadays talk about how much weight they moving on the block? It seems like the prerequisite to being a successful artist is to be a even more successful drug dealer. I grew up in and around that environment and I will leave it at that, no need for me to go into details the things I have done and saw, but it is safe to say I wasn't the person you have come to know and adore so much. Now with that said, let us move on.. As I was saying the music today is so hellbent on destroying our next generation that I often wonder am I going to be like those old people when I got into hip hop who was like "You need to turn that damn NOISE off!!" Yes people hip hop is in a very sad state of affairs right now. Overstand me now, see I listen to a lot of music and I enjoy various artists and yes I will admit and proudly say that I have every "C-Bo" CD. But I also understand that unlike many of these studio created crack dealers "C-Bo" really did what he raps about so I can't front or bang on him to hard.. However I see a trend with these new rappers out there trying to make a name in the game so to speak. They are quick to rhyme about their hood, their block, the homies who they run with factual and fictional and I say to myself when was it cool to openly broadcast illicit activities out loud?? (sounds like snitchin' to me) I also remember when hip hop artist looked down on drug use and black on black violence. That's the hip hop I remember.. Songs like "Night of the living baseheads" by P.E. or "Sometimes I rhyme slow" by Nice and Smooth that verse by Smooth B was ill. Even Slick Rick the Ruler sparred a verse in there on the classic "Hey Young World" where he says "And if you smoke crack, ya kids will smoke crack tomorrow" But that was a different era a time when music was conscious and lyricism meant everything for an emcee. Now with the microwave society it's not even about dope lyrics anymore. All required is a Tight Beat, a Gangsta Image, Bible verse Tattoos, and a couple of Arrests. And you too can be the next 20 minute megastar in the hip hop rap race. That's why when I see these disposable rappers who front like they so successful at getting that pack off. I think wow if the dope game was that good why you wanna be a rapper?? and if the block is that booming where do you find the time to be in a studio recording all damn day?? Honestly duke come on' be for real with ya self for once in ya life.. On the really real you need to roll it up my homeboy..
Now let me bring back a oldie but goodie for y'all ATL's finest "Success N Effect Roll it up my homeboy....

1 comment:

  1. "Who's the fool? The fool... or the one who follows the fool?"

    Most of these dudes do this... because they were told to do so or they heard another artist doing it. Either way... they're just 'piggybacking' off someone else's coat-tails.
    The reality of "exposing the dope game" in a song hasn't sunk in(despite the number of artists... local and mainstream, that have been slain), just like that fool on the corner slanging... eventually, you're going to either say to much or you're going to called to task.
    Example: Jay Z, B.I.G, Clipse and quite a few others started giving details about 'running up and down I-95' and "VA"(Virginia)... that corridor became so 'hot', that I remember saying to myself..."these dudes are saying way too much" and it'll be a matter of time before 'a leak' get's plugged.
    Think about this... a lot of these artists smoke weed... now,who in their right mind would even cater to these 'self incriminating' morons?
    It's the same with the fools that have to let the world know that they're carrying a gun.
    There's an old saying,"You don't have to worry about the fool that's telling you he's crazy... you worry about the one... that has the world around him saying it for him."
    The reality... these dudes are 'burning the bridge' behind them. They know they can't go back to that life or get in that life, who would trust them? If they manage to get in that life, they'll be used as a decoy to get set up.
    A known face... is nothing more than "bait". If these dudes want to 'test the waters'... drink up fools.
    You reap what you sow...

    ReplyDelete